Host & History
A Hotel with Tradition
The Alte Krone was founded many years ago: In old chronicles the house was firstly mentionend in 1795 as a public inn, which was then named „Mohrenwirtschaft zu Mittelberg“ („Mohren Inn“) since 1808. In 1866 the former owner built the „Alte Krone“ just a few metres away. The first guests mainly arrived by foot over saddles – some even from Kempten to the Walsertal. As prices were tightly calculated back then and especially during the First World War, the own agriculture was of great value. As the stream of visitors increased significantly during the forties central heating, bath and running water were installed.
In 1953 Theresia Amann, the mother of Hubert and Max, joined the hotel and married Hubert Kaufmann in 1960. In 1964/65 the front part of the building was renovated and on the 14.01.1966 – exactly 100 years after the first delve of spade – the new building was inaugurated. In the following years the indoor swimming pool as well as further rooms were built.
Hospitality for over 200 years
As the old house was used as staff house and ski school office until 1987, the Landhaus („country house“) was taken down and newly built in 1988. After that the reception and the restaurant were completely renovated. After the death of the senior manager in 1994 the two sons conducted extensive renovation works and the construction of a ski cellar in the following years.
Between 1999 and 2000 the sauna area as well as numerous bathrooms and massage rooms were renovated and enlarged. In 2001 Max and Margit Kaufmann got married. Together with the brother of Max, Hubert Kaufmann, they now manage the hotel. Three years later the kitchen shone in new splendour. The whole kitchen was renovated and enquipped with the latest kitchen devices. In the same year the former breakfast room was replaced with the suite „Hubertus“, the suite „Maximilian“ and the hotel apartment „Jagdhorn“.
In December 2006 11 rooms and the restaurant were renovated. Now they impress with a cosy Alpine charm. The Landhaus („country house“) was enlarged with two new suites: The suite „Kaiser-Franz-Josef“ and „Kaiserin Sissy“ offer its guests 100 m2 of living space and all amenities you can wish for.
In 2010 the Landhaus („country house“) was at the centre of our renovation works. Two years later the whole wellness area was renovated. The indoor swimming pool (6x12m) with counter current and magnificent panorama view as well as the new massage and relaxation rooms offer the perfect atmosphere to relax and unwind. For our active guests we have also equipped our fitness room with Techno-Gym sports devices.
Today the 3*s Hotel Alte Krone in Mittelberg with the Landhaus („country house“) offers 52 rooms, 112 beds, 14 holiday apartments, indoor swimming pool, sauna and solarium as well as restaurant/café with exquisite regional cuisine.